I do not believe that this is correct. The SCA does not recognize or sanction Guilds so there is no way they can regulate them. VincentiMay 26 1 of 38View SourceI do not believe that this is correct. The SCA does not recognize or sanction Guilds so there is no way they can regulate them.Vincenti
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
Taran, Et Al,
Just remember that the laws of the SCA require you to admit anyone who wants to join a guild. You can't limit membership just to people using SCA period equipment & etc. However, you can have a rank system in the guild. If you want to form something like St Hubert's Rangers with minimum standards for admission, it is basically a household. In fact forming new chapters of St Hubert's Rangers might not be a bad idea. I have actually considered joining that organization for some time.
I have a non-guild idea to encourage people to shoot SCA period equipment. I'll start a second discussion.
Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
I would like to make sure I am correct in what I have been thinking. By period archery guild, we mean a guild for those either using period bows, arrows, and release aids, and/or making period bows, arrows, and strings, and/or developing competitions for period archer's, and/or teaching the use of period techniques, etc. With period bows and arrows defined the same or similar to the IKAC period handbow and period crossbow divisions ( http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=10&Shoot=65 ). This wouldn't be 100% inclusive since it would be base on period rather than modern bows, arrows, competitions, construction, etc but I believe that a guild with a more specific purpose will allow us to accomplish more.
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Jonathas <Jonathas@... > wrote:
- Absolutely awesome proposal. All inclusive, yet encourages
everyone to get better.
- On May 25, 2013 4:14 AM, "Ronald Klick"
- I myself like to shoot, I also teach a lot of kids and beginner
adults, I promote archery with passion in and
- out of the SCA. I shoot an old Stemmler recurve that I've owned for
40 years now. I dress fairly simple as
- an Englishman of the 13th Century. I believe that if a society-wide
guild is created it should include all of
- the aspects of archery, not be just geared to shooting, or to persona
development of appropriate gear and
- costuming without firing a shot, or just for crafting, or just for
- For many of these portions of re-creation and recreation there are
already existing guild and orders established.
- Another guild could be created here that promotes just the Periodness
of archery/personas, (a period archery
- guild) or we could try a different path.
- I think it should encompass all of these somehow with a guiding
format to promote Period Archery, but not
- to cause it to smother all other aspects of the fun of archery at the
expense of periodness. I have an idea of
- how to accomplish this, subject to modification here it is:
- An SCA Archery Guild that incorporates all of the aspects of archery.
Advancement in the guild to be based
- on four different areas, combined to determine ranking within the
guild. I see four areas, but input from all of
- you may/will cause this to evolve during development.
- Shooting Skill
- Period Gear and Persona Development
- Teaching, Mentoring, Research, Service to Archery Community
- My thought was a tiered system within each area, ranking from 1 to 5,
with a total that yields a ranking in
- the guild. More input would be needed to refine this but I will give
some rough outlining of my basic idea.
- Criteria would have to be established for ranking within each area.
For example Shooting could be based on
- a RR ranking to get level 1, some other shoots or GAT etc,... to move
up. Crafting could start out with an
- archer making some of his own arrows, bowstrings etc, for level 1.
For Period aspect, could be just to look
- the part of your persona on a basic level for level 1, with
increasing requirements for garb and archery tackle
- to advance. And the last, teaching and mentoring, researching archery
history/crafts personas, service and
- promotion of archery and its community.
- Rankings within Guild based on total scores of the 4
- 4 = Apprentice
- 8 =
- 12 = GuildMaster
- 16 = Senior Guild Master
- 20 = Guild Grand Master
- So to get started in the guild, you'd have to amass 4 points. Someone
who does not even shoot could be a
- part of our guild and community, but would have to concentrate on
other aspects to join. Then again, an
- archer whose only interest is shooting would not be able to advance
beyond Apprentice without trying
- to develop in the other aspects. And in order to attain the highest
rankings someone will have to develop
- in all of the aspects and become immersed in archery, shooting skill,
Period Persona and gear, crafting, and
- dedication to heightening Archery in the SCA. Someone who attained
the highest ranking would be the
- ultimate example, ambassador of the Archery Community where ever they
- Numbers can be evaluated and adjusted, but I hope my basic outline
makes sense. I now open this to the
- comments of my fellows of the Archery Community. These are my own
opinions, not to be considered
- the prevailing views of my Barony or Kingdom.
- Osmond de Berwic
- Barony of Stonemarche
- East Kingdom
- From: John Edgerton
- Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:00 PM
- Subject: [SCA-Archery] Poll questions on a guild
- There seem to be some basic differences of opinion on what a SCA wide
guild should include. So, I am going to set a poll using the poll
function of this group. Before I do I want to run the questions by
everyone for comment or possible changes. This is not a poll at
this time so do not vote, just send comments if you have any.
- Society wide guild.
- What type of guild would you like to see develop ?
- 1: An Archers guild that is exclusively for archers and focused on
shooting and improving scores. The other archery related activities such
as bow making, fletching, string making, running competitions, etc. would
need to set up their own guild or guilds.
- 2: An Archery guild that is for all archery related activities such
as shooting, bow making, fletching, string making, running competitions,
- Absolutely awesome proposal. All inclusive, yet encourages everyone to get better.
I will leave the poll open till 12:00 PDT tonight to allow any last minute votes. JonMay 28 38 of 38View SourceI will leave the poll open till 12:00 PDT tonight to allow any last minute votes.Jon