Father Harvey assigned to Sts. Peter and Paul
Saturday, October 6, 2007
The priest has extensive
pastoral and mission
YOUNGSTOWN The Very Rev. John W. Harvey was
assigned to Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian
Orthodox Church, 1025 N. Belle Vista Ave.
Father Harvey attended Byzantine Catholic
Seminary and Duquesne University in Pittsburgh,
where he earned a bachelor's degree in
psychology. He was received into the Orthodox
church at St. Vladimir's Orthodox Seminary in
Crestwood, N.Y., and graduated cum laude in 1970.
Father Harvey was ordained to the deaconate in 1974 by Bishop Andrei Kuschak.
He served at the Cathedral of St. Ivan Suchawsky
in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; and in parishes in
Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania and New
Jersey. Father Harvey also was "on loan" to
churches in the Greek and Antiochiam Orthodox Archdiocese.
Teaching a course
While he was in Pennsylvania, Father Harvey
served as assistant administrator at the Eastern
Orthodox Foundation, a mental health personal
care home. He also was rector at St. Sophia
Theo2logical Seminary in South Bound Brook, N.J.,
and is teaching a canon law course there.
For 27 years, Father Harvey was the spiritual
director of the Teenage Conference Program at All Saints Camp.
He also has been engaged in mission work, serving
as one of two delegates from the Ukrainian
Orthodox Church of the USA to the board of
directors of the Orthodox Christian Mission
Center in St. Augustine, Fla. This is a part of
the Standing Conference of the Orthodox Bishops
of America, which specializes in support of
mission efforts worldwide. He led two mission trips to Brazil and Paraguay.
Father Harvey and his wife, the former Deborah
Johnson of Huntington, W.Va., live at the church
rectory. They have an adult daughter.
Church services are at 9:30 a.m. Sundays.