Relics from Jerusalem Returned to Simferopol Monastery
30.01.2006, [17:26] // UOC-MP //
Simferopol-- A relic reputed to be a piece of the true cross of Jesus
Christ, and other relics which were taken from southern Ukrainian Crimea in
1943, were returned to Ukraine on 24 January 2006.
A delegation headed by Metropolitan Lazar (Shvets) of Simferopol and Crimea
of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) welcomed at
the Simferopol airport an ark containing a piece of the true cross of
Christ and relics of St. Paraskeva and the martyr St. Panteleimon.
Because the relics had been in danger for decades because of religious
repression under the Soviet regime, they were taken out of Crimea in 1943.
First they went to France, then, since 1971, they had been kept at a
monastery in Jerusalem.
When it became known that the Crimean relics were being kept in Jerusalem,
Metropolitan Lazar contacted Archbishop Mark of Berlin-Germany and Great
Britain, overseer of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem, with
the request to return the ark with the relics to the St. Paraskeva Womens
Monastery of the UOC-MP Simferopol-Crimea Eparchy.