Poet on the Prairie
is a feature length documentary film, includes breathtaking scenery shot in the Black Hills Wild of South Dakota; western Oregon and Michigan's Lake District. Rockland County resident and award winning filmmaker Suzanne Mitchell
focuses her lens on the main real life character; cowboy, writer, and conservationist Dayton Hyde
. Shot over the last decade, this film tells a story of one man’s unstoppable mission to save the lives of hundreds of wild horses while setting his own spirit free. The majestic images of wild horses running free on Hyde’sBlack Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary
is a striking contrast to their earlier life in captivity. Poet on the Prairie’s
Executive Producer is two-time Academy Award winning filmmaker Barbara Kopple.
View the documentary trailer,click here .
The special benefit evening will include: a rare, sneak peak of selected scenes from the film, special guest readings taken from Dayton Hyde's award winning and emotional moving books, silent art auction of award winning photographer Karen Tweedy Holmes’ work, and some delicious foods paired with wines from Nyack’s Café Barcel, and Suffern’s Liquorland.
The goal of the evening is to help ensure the completion of this film, and ultimately the future of the wild horses that live out their days in freedom on the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. Purchase tickets for $75 and be included in the film’s “Special Thanks” credits.
$75 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special
- Rare, sneak peak of Poet on the Prairie
- Special Guest readings of Dayton Hyde’s books * Please stay tuned as special guests and celebrities will be announced soon. *
- Selected Wines and Tasting Reception: Nyack’s Cafe Barcel, New American with Mediterranean and Latin influences, will provide delicious appetizers, and Suffern’s Liquorland will provide the wine.
- Opportunity to bid in Silent Art Auction of award winning photographer Karen Tweedy Holmes’ work.
- Opportunity to participate in Raffles including one
for an all exclusive Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary adventure tour plus three-day lodging at beautiful log prairie home overlooking rock canyons of South Dakota with spectacular back country wild horses views. It will be a memory for a lifetime – travel in a 4-wheel drive vehicle with a private guide through remote wild horse herds on rugged rim rock meadows, see the parts of the Sanctuary that few visitors see, and have a delicious picnic lunch overlooking magnificent Hell Canyon. Black Hills
Wild Horse Sanctuary is located an hour from Mount Rushmore. Total package valued at $1,200.
- Special Thanks in Film Credits.
$125 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and a poster of the film to help remind you of your generosity every time you look at it.
$250 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and you will receive a book signed by the award winning author and main character of the film.
$500 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and you become an official sponsor of a wild horse of your choosing for one year and receive regular updates and photos of your horse.
$1000 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and an invitation to the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary for a private photo tour.
$2000 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and a personalized thank you letter from
the Main Character and Director.
$5000 Benefit Ticket for 5/17 Special Event Includes:
- All of the above and an Associate Producer credit in the film.
Tickets are still on sale for the special benefit event. Individual tickets start at $75 and include a wine and tasting reception with special guests and access to silent art auctions and raffles.