My most interesting revelation came when trying to reproduce a 16th century
pattern for a book restoration once. The pattern looked deceptively simple,
but I just couldn't get the shapes of the droplet right. Then I gave up in
exasperation and couldn't even face the marbling room to clean up....went
back to it the next AM on a spoiled dirty size....and was so annoyed I
didn't even skim thoroughly....and lo and behold...the pattern was perfect.
That was the secret of the old time marblers....just use it until it was
almost useless......why throw out rotten size if it would still work even a
Another bit of fun came one hot summer when unbeknownst to me, some of my
paints went moldy (this will only happen if they have been mixed with
gall).......I got some very interesting shell type textures. tried for the
rest of that summer to make the paints mold agin but they refused!
And...I have never needed to add salt, and have never used distilled water
except for in the paints. The less distilled water I have to lug around,