Literacy Network Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator Position Description Position Title: Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator ImmediateMessage 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2010View Source
Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator Position Description
Position Title: Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Hours: 8:30 – 5:00 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
8:30 – 1:00 Friday
Flexibility Required; position requires some evening and weekend work.
Pay Range: $25,000-$35,000, commensurate with experience, with health care benefits.
Application Deadline: Monday, August 16, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Established in 1974, Literacy Network is a not-for-profit organization committed to providing basic literacy services to adults and families in Dane County so they may achieve their employment, education and family goals. Literacy Network provides learner-centered literacy services to more than 1,200 Dane County adults annually, through instructor-led classes and one-to-one volunteer tutoring for reading, writing, English speaking skills. Literacy Network has been a United Way Agency since 1979.
Because of Literacy Network's contributions to the community, Dane County has a better prepared workforce and a diverse, involved population. Literacy Network helps learners succeed in the workplace, better understand health issues, and provide supportive environments for the education of children. We partner with other social service agencies to build strong community connections for our learners.
Literacy Network seeks a Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator to continue our efforts to recruit volunteer tutors, identify create ways of engaging volunteers and developing innovative ways to recruit and retain learners. The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator will provide volunteer orientation, manage data collection and oversee work by more than 500 volunteers. The Outreach Coordinator is also responsible for coordinating community outreach efforts focused on recruiting learners to our programs.
1. Volunteer Recruitment 35%
· Manage and oversee all volunteer opportunity presentations, mailings and answer questions from potential volunteers.
· Develop and implement tutor recruitment plan.
· Create and distribute volunteer recruitment material.
· Track tutor recruitment activities and success rates.
· Coordinate volunteer participation for fund raising events, recognition events, outreach activities, and other volunteer activities of Literacy Network.
· Keep up to date on best practices in volunteer recruitment.
· Develop and facilitate new tutor information sessions.
· Participate in tutor training sessions.
· Screen and interview new tutors.
2. Tutor support 30%
· Gather monthly reports from active tutors and provide adequate follow up.
· In coordination with other staff, provide ongoing support and encouragement to tutors.
· Work with tutors to overcome any issues associated with match.
3. Community Outreach 15%
· Develop and implement learner & tutor recruitment plan based on projected program needs.
· Develop and maintain recruitment and information materials.
4. Record Keeping 10%
· Manage records of tutor and match information in database.
· Provide monthly reports on tutor activity focusing on learner goal accomplishment, number of tutors and hours of tutoring.
5. General Office Duties 10%
· Supervise office volunteers.
· Answer phones and greet visitors.
· Assist in maintenance of office organization and cleanliness.
The well-qualified candidate will possess:
1. Bachelor’s degree in English, Marketing, Communications, Public Administration, or related field.
2. At least 2 years’ experience in recruitment, community outreach or volunteer management.
3. Experience working with adults from diverse backgrounds.
4. Experience communicating in a variety of settings requiring strong verbal, written, interpersonal and group presentation skills.
5. Highly organized and able to balance multiple priorities.
6. An understanding of adult literacy issues and nonprofit organization.
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint.
8. Reliable automotive transportation for travel within Dane County.
9. Spanish language skills preferred.
Note: This position description offers guidelines for the employee, however in no way limits the scope of the position nor limits opportunities for expansion of the duties and responsibilities of the employee.
To apply, visit www.litnetwork.org to submit your cover letter and resume.
Jeff Burkhart | Executive Director
Literacy Network of Dane County
1118 S Park St |Madison WI 53715
o: 608.244.3911| f: 608.244.3899
w: www.litnetwork.org | e: jeff@...