I recently added an Epson R220 printer to my Linkstation 120 and
configured the printer as a network printer on all my WinXP clients.
Printing to the shared network printer was extremely slow.
I found the following recommendation on Microsoft's support site and
after I implemented the changes, printing has been also instantaneous.
I strongly recommend that anyone with slow printer response from
Windows XP try the following workaround.
SMB-connected print server
SMB print servers allow workstations on the network to send print
jobs directly to a print server without going through an intermediate
computer or print server. This type of configuration does not support
Point and Print.
To work around this issue, follow these steps to install the print
driver locally and create a connection to the SMB print share: 1.
Click Start, click Run, type control.exe in the Open box, and then
click Printers and Faxes.
2. Double-click Add a printer, and then click Next.
3. Click Local printer attached to this computer, and then click
4. Click Create a new port.
5. In the Type box, click Local Port, and then click Next.
6. Type the SMB share name. For example:
7. Continue the wizard and install the appropriate driver for the