apologies for cross-posting...)
The Internet: Collaborative Tasks and Project Work
Nicky Hockly and Gavin Dudeney
[ details at www.dudeney.com/esade/index.html ]
A new online course for teachers and materials designers to be run in
conjunction with ESADE School of Languages (Barcelona, Spain) as part
of their Summer Teacher Education Series (formerly known as the
Our course will cover 4 weeks in July, comprising 1-1.5 hours of
online collaborative group work per day coupled with tutorial time
and offline reading and reflection. You will receive a detailed study
timetable to help you organise your workload effectively.
You won't need any prior knowledge of web design issues, although you
will need some experience of email, and basic web browsing skills.
Our course looks at a variety of types of Internet-based
collaborative tasks which are applicable in EFL/ESL situations. The
focus will be on email and writing projects, and webquests (see
By the end of the course, you will:
- produce a project based on a webquest
- develop your basic IT (information technology) skills
- become familiar with using the Internet as a resource for learners
- develop the skills necessary to effectively handle students'
- explore the principles of project work and collaborative learning,
and experience how this can be effectively promoted online
You will follow the course entirely online, working individually, in
small study groups of 6 to 8 and with a tutor. You will:
- evaluate and analyse Internet-based materials
- develop your own skills in online communication and negotiation
through collaborative group work
- reflect on the skills needed for working effectively with students
online. This includes moderating skills, climate setting, support,
- create a final project tailored to the needs of your own learners,
which you will be able to use with your EFL classes.
WHAT YOU NEED
You will need a PC or Mac with an Internet connection, a web browser
(Internet Explorer or Netscape) and an email program.
NOTE: this course is recognised by the Departament d'Ensenyament of
the Generalitat de Catalunya. Students from Catalan institutions may
qualify for grants and subsidies...
Full details on the course, the tutors, cost, enrolment, etc. can be
found at www.dudeney.com/esade/index.html
Gavin Dudeney & Nicky Hockly