Thankyou for the email, my apologies for taking so long to reply - home and
work pressures are taking up most of my time presently, meaning that it is
very rare that I have much spare time for the internent in general.
Apologies if this has been discussed or detailed already on site, but is
there a "step by step" guide as to what needs to be done, in what order, where
and when, in case my father and Uncle wish to pursue this avenue - I guess I
will leave the final decision down to them.
Many thanks and once again apologies for the slowness of my reply.
In a message dated 05/08/2007 15:35:29 GMT Standard Time,
This is a Special Notice to all members of the Kresy-Siberia Group.
A number of members have previously indicated a desire to apply for
compensation for property lost in the Kresy (Polish Eastern
Borderlands) after the annexation and confiscation of that property
by the USSR during WW2.
Aneta Hoffmann has done a heroic job translating the July 2005 Polish
Law on Compensation into English and it is now posted on our Yahoo
A few key points:
- The law is based on post-war agreements between the governments of
Poland and the USSR;
- Applications can be made by original owners or by their heirs (as
long as they are Polish citizens);
- Polish law means that all descendants of Polish Citizens
automatically have Polish citizenship too, but they do need to apply
- Applications can be lodged in Poland or in Polish Consular offices
(Embassies, Consulates) in other countries;
- Document originals or archive copies are required, but where these
are missing, 2 (unrelated) witnesses who lived in or near the
original places can make sworn statements instead;
- Value will be paid of 20% of current property values, established
by comparison with similar Polish land;
- We have until December 2008 (not very far away) to lodge
This process may not be easy and the returns will probably be more
symbolic (the principle of the thing) than financial. I recognise
that some members will feel this is not for them. However, any
members who wish to consider participating in this effort should
contact me at _kresy-siberia-kresy-siberia-<Wkresy_
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]