Ohlund among NHLers going to Europe
Vancouver Canucks defenceman Mattias Ohlund has signed on to play for
Lulea and will make his debut in Sweden's top pro hockey league
against Modo on Boxing Day.
The International Ice Hockey Federation announced a number of
transactions Tuesday, including Ottawa Senators centre Todd White
agreeing to play with Sodertalje in Sweden.
The transfer window for most European hockey leagues closed for the
holidays Tuesday and there were at least 18 transactions before the
deadline, making it over 300 locked-out NHLers who have signed
overseas. Some of them have since returned home.
According to the IIHF:
- Canucks defenceman Bryan Allen has agreed to join Khimik
Voskresensk of Russia;
- Edmonton Oilers forward Ethan Moreau will join VSV Villach of
- New York Islanders defencemen Adrian Aucoin agreed to join Swedish
- Islanders blue-liner Kenny Jonsson signed on with Sweden's Rogle;
- Isles goalie Garth Snow has left Russia's St. Petersburg team;
- Nashville Predators goalie Thomas Vokoun is moving from Znosemsti
Ori of the Czech Republic to HIFK Helsinki;
- Manny Malhotra of the Columbus Blue Jackets is moving from
Slovakia's Olimpija to Sweden's HV71;
- New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias goes from Znojmo of the
Czech Republic to Metalluirg Magnitogorsk of Russia.