Premiere of John Pilger's documentary film 'Utopia'
held at London National Film Theatre
Newsletter date: 11 October 2013
This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/10/11/wgar-news-premiere-of-john-pilgers-documentary-film-utopia-held-at-london-national-film-t
* 'concerned Australians': John Pilger's film "UTOPIA"
* Café Whispers: Notes from London [Featuring John Pilger's documentary 'Utopia']
* Economic Voice: 'Utopia' by John Pilger released in UK on 15th November
* A new John Pilger film, Utopia, to be released in UK cinemas in November* 'CONCERNED AUSTRALIANS':
JOHN PILGER'S FILM "UTOPIA"
'concerned Australians': John Pilger's film "UTOPIA"http://www.concernedaustralians.com.au/
October 2013: "The Premiere of Utopia was held at the
London National Film Theatre (BFI South Bank) on Thursday
3 October 2013. A large crowd attended the screening and
many signed a message calling for Treaties to be negotiated
between Aboriginal Nations and the Australian Government.
Utopia is John Pilger's new feature documentary. In his new
film Utopia, John says that until white Australia
negotiates a genuine Treaty with indigenous Australia,
it can never claim its own nationhood. ... "
- Related FacebookFacebook: Utopia - A film by John Pilgerhttps://www.facebook.com/Johnpilgerutopia* CAFE WHISPERS:
NOTES FROM LONDON
[FEATURING JOHN PILGER'S DOCUMENTARY 'UTOPIA']
- OpinionCafé Whispers: Notes from Londonhttps://cafewhispers.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/notes-from-london/
6 Oct 13: " ... after seeing the new John Pilger
documentary at it’s premier on Thursday night I felt I had
to post about it. The documentary is called "Utopia"
is a sad statement on the way that we treat the first
nation people in Australia. There are so many shocking
moments (and they were moments that elicited gasps of
horror from the audience). In the documentary he questions
whether Australia has inherited apartheid from South
Africa? And why the rest of the world does not condemn us?"* ECONOMIC VOICE:
'UTOPIA' BY JOHN PILGER RELEASED IN UK ON 15TH NOVEMBER
- ReviewEconomic Voice:
'Utopia' by John Pilger released in UK on 15th Novemberhttp://www.economicvoice.com/utopia-by-john-pilger-released-in-uk-on-15th-november/
26 Sep 13: "One of the most extraordinary films about
Australia is soon to be released in the UK. This is Utopia,
an epic production by the Emmy and Bafta winning film-maker
and journalist John Pilger. Utopia is a vast region in
northern Australia and home to the oldest human presence
on earth. 'This film is a journey into that secret country,'
says Pilger in Utopia. 'It will describe not only the
uniqueness of the first Australians, but their trail of
tears and betrayal and resistance - from one utopia to
another'." Author: Economic Voice Staff* A NEW JOHN PILGER FILM, UTOPIA,
TO BE RELEASED IN UK CINEMAS IN NOVEMBER
- AnnouncementJohn Pilger website:
A new John Pilger film, Utopia,
to be released in UK cinemas in Novemberhttp://johnpilger.com/articles/a-new-john-pilger-film-utopia-to-be-released-in-uk-cinemas-in-november
25 Sep 13: "Has the 'lucky country' inherited South
African apartheid? And how could this happen in the 21st
century? What role has the media played? Utopia is both a
personal journey and universal story of power and
resistance and how modern societies can be divided between
those who conform and a dystopian world of those who do
not conform. Utopia draws on people and places Pilger
first filmed 28 years ago during his long association
with the indigenous people of his homeland. The evidence he
produces is often deeply moving and shocking."
- Related AnnouncementInquiring Minds: Utopia:
"Interned in often rat-infested cells, almost 60 per cent of
Western Australia’s young prisoners are Aboriginal
- out of 2.5 per cent of the population... John Pilger via Dave B.http://inquiringminds.cc/utopia-interned-in-often-rat-infested-cells-almost-60-per-cent-of-western-australias-young-prisoners-are-aboriginal-out-of-2-5-per-cent-of-the-population-john-pilger-via-dave-b
30 July 13: "A new John Pilger
film on Australia, Utopia
commissioned by ITV and backed by the UK company, Network
Distributing, and produced by Dartmouth Films, will be
delivered in the summer in Britain, and broadcast worldwide
near the end of the year and early 2014. "Interned in often
rat-infested cells, almost 60 per cent of Western
Australia’s young prisoners are Aboriginal - out of 2.5 per
cent of the population… Their rate of incarceration is five
times that of apartheid South Africa.""
- - -WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News: http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email wgar.news@...
and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email wgar.news@...
and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header. Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
- - -WGAR events postings: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings
WGAR background info web-pages:
- - -
You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact.
To subscribe, email contactwgar@...
and include the words "subscribe WGAR Contact" in the message header.
- - - WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)