Posted by: "syme_ampleforth" syme_ampleforth@...
> I updated to Base Camp 3.3.2 & MapInstall 4.0 but wish I hadn't.
> Now I get blather about "This could take HOURS" and it looks like Bcae
> Camp will no longer automagically install maps with a route/waypoint
I have used MapSource since 2004, installing maps from 3 (original + 2
updates) CD/DVDs to my Garmin 2610. Then again for my 76CSx and the
fifth time for my etrex Vista HCx.
All installed without any difficulty, although transferring maps from
computer to GPSr did take a long time. An index has to be constructed
of the map tiles you have chosen, prior to the actual transfer.
I've recently been looking at BaseCamp 3.3.1 as many are referring to
it as a replacement for MS, including some folk at Garmin. How ever
like many, I found it slow clumsy and unable to perform all the
functions within MS. Remember BC is a _replacement_ for MS. Sadly,
like their newer GPSrs, it lacks features from the older products.
Fortunately, they both use .gdb files.
I've just bought a Montana 650t and a new CN Europe DVD. It wont work
with MapSource so I had to use BC, which went through many updating
runs for all the auxiliary programs it calls, including MapInstall.
Incidentally, MS has been removed from the DVD, but BC has not been
Eventually it got to the point of transferring the map files. After
half an hour of building the index, it reached 100%. It hung at that
point, so I rebooted and repeated the process with similar results.
I then chose only one map tile - my local one - and it quickly
progressed past 100% without hanging.
But I then saw an error message of "Can't Authenticate Maps" on the
650t. Every time I switch on the 650t, I see the same error message
So I completed the on-line form to Garmin with details of the
problems. Wanting to use my new 650t over the Bank Holiday weekend, I
telephoned Garmin at Southampton. Eventually I was connected to
Lewis, who was very knowledgeable and experienced. This was a great
surprise! (Still not received a reply to my on-line form.)
He was able to e-mail to me two files to place on to the 650t, which
solved the error message. BC was not installing these two files which
were required for the authentication of the maps for that GPSr.
He also advised me that the apparent hanging after reaching 100% was
not the computer hanging, but actually the program failing to display
that it was working on the next stage of the process. He also advised
me that it will take hours to complete.
What I found interesting was that he needed to know the version of the
map tiles that I was attempting to install, having had BC download 5
hours worth of newer maps. BC is unable to do this so he asked if I
could go into MS to do that.
Most interesting that Garmin need to use MS to verify the actions of BC!
As an extra comment for folk with a Montana, MS can't transfer
waypoint and tracks between GPSr and computer. The solution is to use
BC for this and use MS to manage the.gdb files.
Having been critical of the GPSrs that Garmin suggest are replacements
for the 76C range, I would suggest that the Montana be considered.
I'll respond to any requests for why.