Harrisburg Thirty-nine years ago. . . 1968- By Departmental order of Fire Chief Elmer “Monk” Shover effective this date at 8:00 a.m. a squad composed ofMessage 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007View SourceHarrisburgThirty-nine years ago. . .
1968- By Departmental order of Fire Chief Elmer “Monk” Shover effective this date at 8:00 a.m. a squad composed of at least five men would operate from the quarters of Engine No. 11(the old Shamrock No. 11) using the former Foamite and High Pressure wagon as a means of transportation and fire fighting purposes. This rig was a 1942 Dodge combination hose and chemical rig that had seen service as the Washington No. 4 and was commonly referred to as “the Washie Wagon.” This squad would augment the fire fighters on the street and would answer all alarms and telephone calls designated by fire headquarters. This company would be called Squad 1. The Battalion Chief on duty was transferred from the Hope No. 2 to the Shamrock No. 11 with the Squad. The response of the three ladder companies that formerly augmented engines on minor fires for manpower was now to be discontinued with full reliance on Squad 1. This however lasted but a short time. Also at this time a full department training program under Assistant Chief Charles A “Chet” Henry was begun. This was another major step in the transition to the Harrisburg Fire Department that you all know today.