Railroad could be officially abandoned in three months
By: Melissa deCordova, Sun Staff Writer
Published on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007
NORWICH – The county's top economic development official told
lawmakers this week that the New York Susquehanna & Western Railway
planned to permanently abandon its right-of-way between Chenango Forks
and Sherburne in three months.
Service on that portion of the line from Binghamton to Utica stopped
last June after the flood in the region damaged some rail sections.
Company representatives have said, however, that abandonment
procedures were previously underway due to underutilization of the
Economic Development Director Maureen Carpenter said New York State
Senators James L. Seward and Thomas Libous met with railroad president
Walter Rich late last week. Estimates for the track repairs have
ranged from $250,000 to $400,000, and NYS&W Railroad "would be looking
for federal and state funds to keep going," she said.
In a phone call following the Feb. 9 meeting, Senator Libous told
Carpenter that Rich's April deadline was "unrealistic."