by Michael A. Banks
Powel Crosley had already decided that his future was in the automobile business.
So he hung in, with Ira J. Cooper advancing hundreds of dollars to keep the small business afloat.
In May of 1916, he bought out Cooper's interest with $1,500 in notes. Cooper was ready to launch the Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, so he was just as happy to sell out.
Crosley added several products to his line, including a blowout patch called Tredkote (which he later patented), and his own gasoline fortifier, Kick. The business grew so quickly that he was forced to move it to larger quarters.
A few months later, the company had to move again, to 1601 Blue Rock Street in Cincinnati's Northside district.
This building, which stands today, would eventually house the first Crosley factory and serve as WLW's home in 1922.
Next: Powel Crosley goes for the bigtime.