Poets & Patrons 55th Annual
CHICAGOLAND POETRY CONTEST
Deadline: September 1, 2011
PRIZES: $45.00, $20.00, $10.00 and three HMs in each category.
A $12.00 ($10.00 for members) entry fee covers one poem submitted in any or all categories. Each additional poem $1.00.
#1 RELIGIOUS POEM In Memory of Ella Kracke
(open to all) and Pat Gangas
Sponsor: W. Clement Stone
#2 HUMOROUS POEM In Memory of Isabelle Gillespie Young
(open to all) and Mary Roby
Sponsors: Tom and Lem Roby
#3 FORMAL VERSE In Memory of Virginia Nicholas,
(open to all) Wilma Burton, Bernhard Hillilla,
and John Dickson
Sponsors: Glenna Holloway and
Mary Ann Eiler
#4 FREE VERSE In Memory of Margarete Cantrall
(open to all) Sponsor: Beth Staas
#5 SOCIAL CONSCIENCE Sponsor: Linda Wallin
(open to all)
#6 MINIATURE POEM In Memory of Esther Kossoff and
(open to all) June Shipley
Sponsors: Dr. Bakul Banerjee and Jenene Ravesloot
#7 THEME: Chicago Parks In Memory of Agnes Wathall Tatera,
(open to members Robert Anderson, and Gertrude Rubin
and Chicagoland residents) Sponsor: Wilda Morris
#8 THEME: Chicago Art: Sponsor: Nancy Jean Carrigan
an ekphrastic poem
(open to members
and Chicagoland residents)
#9 THEME: Famous Chicago Sponsors: Judith Tullis and
Figures: a persona poem Charlotte DiGregorio
(open to members and
#10 THEME: Astronomy/Astrology In Memory of Gladys Muller
(open to members Sponsors: Caroline Johnson and
and Chicagoland residents) Barbara Eaton
Eligibility: (1) Categories #1 through #6 are open to all.
Categories #7 through #10 are open to members and other persons living within 100 miles of Chicago.
(2) Poems must be in English and unpublished.
(3) Poems may not be entered if they have won earlier cash
awards from Poets & Patrons.
(4) Do not enter the same poem in two categories.
(5) Line limit: 60 lines. Miniature poem: 12 lines.
Format: (1) Type or computer-generate on 8 ½" x 11" standard paper,
using font size 12 or up.
(2) Use no unusual fonts or graphics.
(3) An entry consists of 2 copies of the poem. In the upper right-hand corner of each copy, place number, category, form of poem (for Formal) and the title of the poem.
(4) At the top left of one copy, place name and address of the poet.
(5) Do not staple pages together. Exception: should your poem necessitate a second page, staple these together and label them p. 1, p. 2.
(6) Assemble your entries by category number, the identified copy, then unidentified copy.
(7) Send all entries flat, in a single mailing, using first class mail, postmarked no later than September 1, 2011.
(8) Be sure to enclose your check for $12.00 ($10 for members), made payable to Poets & Patrons, Inc.
Entry fee covers one poem in each category. Each additional poem costs $1.
(9) If you want a winners' list, enclose SASE.
Send entries, inquiries, and fees to: Barbara Eaton, Contest Chair, 416 Gierz
Street, Downers Grove, IL 60515-3838.
Poet keeps all rights. Poems will not be returned. Judges are out-of-state professionals, and their decisions are final.
Winners will be notified in early October, and awards will be presented at the annual Court of Awards in late October. Detailed information will follow on web site www.poetsandpatrons.net and in Poets & Patrons Newsletter.