ASPS 2011 SPRING POETRY COMPETITION
Deadline: 2011-03-14 (Postmarked)
Rules and Details
ASPS 2011 SPRING POETRY COMPETITION
Paid members: $1 per entry
Non-members: $3 per entry
"Members" must be paid prior to CONTEST DEADLINE OF MARCH 14: see Rules
1. ALABAMA STATE POETRY SOCIETY SPRING CONTEST (Sponsor ASPS)
THIS CATEGORY IS OPEN TO PAID MEMBERS ONLY
$100, $50, $25, $10, and 3 HM's in order of merit. Any form, Any subject, No line limit.
2. THE RHAPSODY IN BLUE AWARD (Sponsor Susan Luther)
MUST BE A CURRENT MEMBER AND MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN.
$100, $50, $25, HM's at judge's discretion. Any form, Subject "Something old,
something new, something borrowed, and/or something blue. Choose any one
(or more) of these itemsthe poem doesn't have to be about all of them!
Line limit 70.
3. GAIL'S CELEBRATION OF NATURE, in honor of Gail Whitten. (Sponsor Barry Marks)
Any nonmember winner gets a one year membership paid by the sponsor.
$100, and 10 HM's. Any form, Subject "A poem about nature and how we relate to it"
(Sponsor suggests entrants read Mary Oliver), Line limit 40.
4. JOHN CHAMBERS AWARD in Celebration of Alabama Rivers.
(Sponsor Virginia Gilbert) $50, $35, $15. Any form, no line limit.
5. IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE LOST (Sponsor Leslie Ellis)
$50, $25, $10, and 3 HM's. Any form, Subject "Title of this contest," Line limit 40.
6. THE SUN AND MOON AWARD in memory of Gail Elaine McGeogh Whitten
(Sponsors Pippa Abston, Bettye Cannizzo, Barbara Kaiser, Susan Luther)
$45, $25, $10 and 1 HM. Any form, Line limit 50.
Subject "Write a poem inspired by these lines from "Moon and Sun" (by Joe Whitten):
"You do not change; you are the constant one / I am the fickle moon, you are the sun."
7. THE JONATHAN SMITH MEMORIAL AWARD (Sponsor Joe Whitten)
$40, $30, $20, and 3 HM's. Form MUST be Rhymed. Subject "Celebrate your state."
Line limit 32.
8. THE GAIL WHITTEN MEMORIAL AWARD (Sponsor Joe Whitten)
$40, $30, $20, and 3 HM's. Form Sonnet. Subject "A person or event from the Bible
Old Testament or New Testament."
9. THE GULF COAST WRITERS ASSOCIATION PRIZE (Sponsor Gulf Coast Authors)
$25, $15, $10 and 3 HM's. Any form, Subject "Inspiration," Line limit 32
10. CHRISTMAS IN JULY (Sponsor Jodi Adamson)
$25, $15, $10 and 3 HM's. Any form, Subject "Pick a Christmas carol and rewrite it,
giving it an occupational twist." Line limit 42.
11. I'LL TAKE THE SHORT FORM, PLEASE!
(Sponsors Kirk and Jerri Hardesty and NewDawnUnlimited.com)
$25 and 3 HM's. Form: Any short form, but not free verse, ( i.e.. couplet, haiku,
sijo, quatrain, tanka, cinquain, limerick, beech, etheree, fibonacci, jaleen, triolet,
rondelet, Lil Ann, octet, oriental octet, etc.). Any subject, Line limit 8.
12. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE AWARD (Sponsor Grady Sue Loftin Saxon)
(In memory of her parents, Mary and Grady Loftin, who always looked on the bright side.)
$20, $15, $10 and 3 HM's
Any form, Subject "A happy poem about something good in your life or one that shows
a positive attitude no matter the circumstances," Line limit 46.
13. THE ENCOURAGER'S AWARD (Sponsor Joe Whitten)
(In memory of Ralph Hammond, the encourager of all poets.)
$40, $30, $20, and 3 HM's. Free verse, any subject, Line limit 35.
POSTMARK DEADLINE: MARCH 14, 2011
FEES FOR UNLIMITED ENTRIES:
Members: $1 per poem
Non-members: $3 per poem
Contests #1 & 2 are open to paid members only.
Members must be paid by March 10 (postmark)
MAIL ENTRIES AND ENTRY FEES TO:
R1 Box 219C
Brierfield, AL 35035
do not email entries!
1. The same poem may not be entered in more than one category. Poems may
not have won a monetary award in a previous ASPS contest. All rights to previously
published poems must be retained by the poet.
2. There is no limit on entries, although you may receive only one award per contest.
Send an SASE (#10 envelope only) for winners list.
3. Submit 2 copies of each poem on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Plain type & fonts only. No script.
On each copy, put category name and number in top right corner. On one copy only,
under the category name and number, put your name and address, "Nonmember" or
"Member", and email address. Address labels are acceptable.
4. Poems are judged by qualified judges not affiliated with ASPS. Keep a copy of your
poems. All poems will be destroyed after the April meeting.
5. In the event that you are a winner, please put the name and address of one local paper
at the bottom of your "original" entry (the one with ID).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If you are not a paid member, to be eligible for member fees of $1 per entry and
to enter Categories #1 & 2, send $20 by March 14 (postmark) to: Dr. Wayne DeLoach;
ASPS Treasurer; 2532 County Road 57; Marbury, AL 36051
Make check payable to ASPSMemo line: 2011 Membership Dues.
Do not send contest entries or contest fees to Wayne!