The 5th Annual Sean O’Faolain Short Story Competition 2007
Three innovations to the prize this year. 1) The appointment of our first
non-Irish judge, San Francisco-based Jon Boilard, who is a previous winner of the
competition. 2) We are allowing email entries for the first time this year,
see paragraph 7 below. 3)This year the winner can submit their manuscript to
London literary agent Lucy Luck for a reading without having to sit in the slush
An annual short story competition dedicated to one of Ireland’s most
accomplished story writers and theorists, sponsored by the Munster Literature Centre
Judge: For 2007 is Jon Boilard
First Prize: €1,500 (approx US$1900) and publication in the literary biannual
Second Prize: €500 (approx US$640) and publication in Southword
Four other shortlisted entries will be selected for publication in Southword
and receive a fee of 100 euros (approx US$130)
1. The competition is open to original unpublished short stories in the
English language of 3,000 words or less. The story can be on any subject, in any
style by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world.
2. Entries should be typed. The entrant’s name and contact details must be on
a separate piece of paper. Manuscripts cannot be returned.
3. Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee of €10, or £10 stg or US$15
or AU$18 or Can$16. You may make as many entries as you want. Cheques and
money orders should be payable to the Munster Literature Centre. US Postal orders
are not acceptable because the US Post Office will not honour payment outside
the US. An entry form is not needed.
4. Closing date is July 31st 2007. All non-email entries must be postmarked
before or on that date (in plainer English, entries posted before or on this
date will be accepted after July 31st provided they are sent by airmail). only
to the following address: The Munster Literature Centre, Frank O'Connor House,
84 Douglas Street, Cork, Ireland. (There is no post/zip code)
5. The winners will be announced at the International Frank O’Connor Festival
of the Short Story in Cork in September 2006 . The winners will be invited to
read their prize winning stories at the festival.
6. Enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard to acknowledge receipt.
7. We are accepting email entries for the first time in 2007. For email
for instructions on submitting manuscripts online
8. Judge’s decision is final.
9. It would assist us greatly if you let us know how you first heard of this
competition, whether through a mailshot, word of mouth, classified advert,
flyer newsprint story, link from another site or search engine.
For further information contact: The Munster Literature Centre, 84 Douglas
(replace "at" with "@" when emailing, this is an anti-spam measure)
See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]