From: Christina Crooker [mailto:CCrooker@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:48 PM
Subject: [CalWeedJobs] Ecological Restoration Internship with the Golden
Gate National Pa
Ecological Restoration Intern Wanted
The Golden Gate National Park Conservancy's Site Stewardship Program is
seeking a motivated intern to work in a dynamic community-based habitat
restoration program in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in the
San Francisco bay area.
Site Stewardship is a small office, with 4 permanent employees and 4 to
6 full-time interns.
We provide care and restoration of sensitive lands and species within
the Golden Gate National Recreation Area with the support of local
volunteers and education groups. Work sites are in a variety of coastal
habitats north and south of the Golden Gate Bridge and support three
1. Help prioritize, plan, and oversee habitat restoration projects
and volunteer workdays.
2. Conduct on-the-ground habitat restoration including invasive
species control, fence construction, and revegetation.
3. Monitor restoration progress; collect, enter, and manage
4. Help prepare summary reports and revise management plans.
5. Engage local community by leading interpretive hikes, creating
interpretive materials, and corresponding with volunteers.
6. Maintain tools and equipment and other miscellaneous duties.
1. Familiarity with biological and ecological concepts.
2. A love of nature, plants, and enthusiasm for outdoor work and
getting your hands dirty.
3. Strong interest in ecological restoration and endangered species
4. Ability to work well within a team; sense of humor, flexibility,
and collaboration a must!
5. Ability to take on responsibility, work independently, and
assume a leadership role when needed.
6. Great verbal and written communication skills.
7. Basic computer literacy, Microsoft word and excel.
1. Bachelor's degree in biology, botany, environmental science, or
2. Experience conducting habitat restoration or related natural
resources management work.
3. Plant/animal identification skills.
4. Experience with Global Positioning Systems and Geographic
5. Experience with Photoshop, Powerpoint, or other visual format
1. We offer free housing in the Golden Gate National Recreation
2. We offer a stipend of $25/day ($125/week).
3. We offer transportation to work sites.
4. We offer personalized training and marketable work experience.
1. Desired start date: September 28 - October 12, 2009, flexible
2. Length of position: 1 year.
3. Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday, full-time.
4. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to
Site Stewardship Program
Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
Fort Mason Bldg. 201. San Francisco CA 94123
ph: (415) 561-3070 fax: (415) 561-3010
The non-profit support partner for the Golden Gate National Parks