I haven't checked the group in a while (oh, the shame!). Wanted to throw my $0.02 worth in.
I used the 2-part urethane from Skinboats to seal my canoe (picts under "KPW - Snowshoe Explorer 14") and I was very happy with the results.
1. I did four coats: it is one tough skin.
2. The first coat saturates the dacron and bonds to the ribs, gunwales, and keel. Extremely good saturation that fully seals the inside surface of the boat.
3. I applied successive coats while the previous was still tacky - did not get a mirror smooth finish: you are pushing the mixture around with the plastic spreader - as per the video tutorials on the skinboat site - and you may be more adept than me, but I have lots of ripples where the buildup isn't consistent. Once the urethane starts to set it's going to stay where it is.
4. Save enough to coat the cutwaters and keel once mounted. I encased these in a fifth batch making sure I had a good fillet between these strips and the covering and that all the countersink holes were filled.
5. Stuff is really messy and really strong - I still have a canoe-shaped outline on my garage floor.
--- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "joeltaplin" <joeltaplin@...> wrote:
> Thanks for all of your replies i have decide to go with the 2 part system from skinboats i will let you know how it goes.