The Charlotte Observer, The News & Observer of Raleigh, N.C., and the Rock Hill (S.C.) Herald are seeking a new director for their central copy editing and design center in Charlotte, N.C.
The center provides news production for the three McClatchy daily newspapers and their community newspapers, and is located in the Observer building in downtown Charlotte.
The director has overall responsibility for the content production process, including hiring, training and managing 54 employees; establishing work flows and processes; identifying efficiencies; developing and managing the center's budget, and meeting productivity and quality standards.
The director is the primary contact for the editors of the newspapers and ultimately responsible for the quality of editing and design work and deadline compliance.
The position requires diplomacy, organizational and negotiating skills, and excellent journalism and communication skills. The director must have the ability to build strong working relationships and interact with a wide range of people at multiple levels of the organization, both inside and outside the center.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, mass communications, graphic design or related field, plus a minimum of seven years experience in copy editing and/or page design at a daily newspaper.
* At least five years supervisory experience. Must be able to demonstrate command of what constitutes quality copy editing and page design.
* Must be capable of working with varying skill levels, varying work styles, and multiple newsrooms and with management of several newspapers.
* Range of skills include: Managing a large group of people, designing work schedules that optimize productivity and recognizing the distinctiveness of the individual newspapers and their local markets.
* The ideal candidate will have an advanced understanding of CCI and its application to both print and digital products of the modern newsroom.
* Must have demonstrated experience in troubleshooting problems and quickly implementing solutions.
* Excellent project management, multi-tasking, communication and organizational skills also required.
This position reports to the executive editors of The Charlotte Observer and The News & Observer.
Requirements: The director would be based in Charlotte, where the center is located, but would need to travel to Raleigh and Rock Hill on a frequent basis. This job will require flexibility in hours, including night and weekend work as needed.
Candidates should email a resume and cover letter to pubcenterjobs@...
no later than June 7.