Congratulations to all the units that submitted their Journey to Excellence (JTE) Scorecard and recharter packet. Thanks! You have made it a relatively easy and efficient recharter period for the 78 units in our district, due entirely to your unit’s effort to meet the recharter and JTE requirements on time. Your unit will receive its JTE recognition and new charter.
Sorry for the harsh sound of what follows, but the liability rules are what they are. There are a few units that have not submitted and it is important for you to understand your status. Please contact your Unit Commissioner and/or Assistant District Commissioner or me if you need assistance or clarification.
· Recharter packets are due to district by Feb. 21. On Feb. 28, Council will close the on-time recharter period for our district.
· If your completed recharter packet is not received by a district representative and submitted to NCAC by Feb. 28, your charter will expire.
· On March 1 your unit enters what is known as the “Lapse Period” and your chartering organization technically will not have a charter to operate a Scout unit.
· At some point after Feb. 28 you and your Chartered Organization Representative will be notified formally.
· At some point after you enter the lapse period, and you are formally notified, your unit will not be authorized to meet, conduct activities, submit advancement transactions, etc. Your unit will not be covered by BSA insurance and your unit will be dropped.
· The JTE processing period closed Feb. 15. However, you can still submit a 2012 Scorecard if you are one of the few units that have not yet, and district will do its best to have the Scorecard considered even though it is past the cutoff. However, there are no guarantees.
· Please note, your packet and Scorecard have to be received by a district representative to be accepted by NCAC. Packets and Scorecards dropped off at Council will simply be returned to the district to be processed.
OK, so that’s it for today on the hard realities of the requirements to hold a charter. Looking forward to talking about fun subjects, and thanks for the great program you are delivering to our Scouts.