The Virginia Association of KiteBoarders (VAKB) has been formed to represent local kiteboarder members in Virginia Beach. The purpose of the VAKB is to share kiting information, promote safety & to represent a positive image in our community for the sport & access to kiteboarding as it currently exists. VAKB has been devoted to the preservation of kitesurfing access,promotion of safe kitesurfing
practices & discussion of issues important to kiteboarders in Virginia Beach.
Members: REFRAIN FROM POSTING RETAIL/COMMERCIAL POSTS.
Inappropriate/Offensive posts may result in the writer being expelled from this list!
VISITORS/NEWBIE KITEBOARDERS:CHECK OUT WHERE TO RIDE IN VIRGINIA BEACH ON VAKB: "LEARN THE VIBE WHERE YOU RIDE"
Virginia Beach Kiteboarding Safety Guidelines 5/07
-Respect other Beach Goers,Locals,Swimmers,&Surfers.Give 100' buffer to all.Be courteous to non-kiters
-Assist Other Kiters "Whenever" Neccessary
-Kiteboard within YOUR Limits
-Know a few Self-Rescue Techniques.(H20 relaunches,swimming in, bodydragging in)
-Always Do A Preflight Check over your Gear
-Don't Ride if Wind is Blowing Offshore
-BE AWARE OF WEATHER CONDITIONS(approaching storms,fronts,lightning & offshore winds)
- Ride & Stay outside of swimmers/surfers,Stay Away from Crowds.
- NO RIDING/FLYING-1st Street-40th Streets(Memorial Day to Labor Day).
- Use Designated Launch/Landing sites:
*45th and 88th streets(Atlantic Ocean,N,NE,S,SE winds)Intermediate to Advanced Riders
*First Landing State Park(Chesapeake Bay,NW to NE winds)Beginners to Advanced Riders
- Follow standard Right of Way Rules:Left Hand/foot forward riders give way to Right Hand/foot forward riders
- Upwind riders stay clear of those Downwind(kiters,swimmers,surfers)
- Give Launching Kiters Right of Way,Stay outside if someone is Launching.
- Board leashes are Dangerous-Don't use one without a HELMET
- Assist other kiters with launches & landings. Use "Thumbs Up" signal for Launch
CLICK APPLICATIONS @ LEFT FOR AREA MAP